- Completed work or projects may be submitted for either oral or poster presentation. If the work or project is not yet complete, the abstract may only be submitted as a poster presentation.
- If successfully reviewed, final abstract acceptance will be conditional upon registration by the presenting author.*
*Please see the Sigma Presenter Acceptance Policy regarding accepted presenters who do not present. Accepted presenters who do not attend will be sent a follow-up letter explaining the policy for “no-shows.”
- Presenters assume all costs related to travel, accommodations, and other expenses for their presentation.
- The primary presenting author should be listed first in the order of authors. All communication will be directed to the primary presenting author only.
- In addition to the abstract, a profile for each author (contact and biographical information) and conflict of interest form are required.
Please remember to include any and all members of your team or anyone who you may wish to give credit to for the work you are submitting. Once the abstract submission deadline has passed, you may not be able to add authors/presenters to the abstract.
- Enhanced abstracts, presentation slides, and author information will appear in a compiled Conference Proceedings electronic file which will be uploaded to Sigma’s Virginia Henderson Global Nursing e-Repository.
- Sigma is committed to worldwide collaboration. Please include global implications as relevant to your work.
A complete oral or poster presentation submission includes the following:
- Title (Maximum of 15 words)
- Submitter's Email Address
- Abstract Describes (Select “Completed Work/Project” or “Ongoing Work/Project”)
- Preferred Presentation Format/Category
- This is the format in which the author prefers to present.
- Poster (only option if ongoing project)
- This submission is applicable to the following category:
- Abstract Summary (Please provide a brief description of the educational activity. This will be for use in promotional materials, such as event brochures or marketing materials, if the abstract is accepted. This should be a short [minimum of 25 words, maximum of 50 words], compelling description of the abstract that describes what participants should expect by attending the session.)
Content Outline Step
- The content outline step should include a detailed outline of the content to be included in the presentation. A sample content outline is available here and on the submission page of the abstract system.
- Enter three (3) keywords or phrases that relate to the topic, practice setting, and/or target audience.
- Three (3) keywords are required.
Abstract Text Step
- The abstract should be a minimum of 300 words and not more than 1,500 words, recommended 750-800 words.
- We suggest that abstracts be developed in a word processing program before accessing the online submission form. Use the spell check and word count features of your word processor to check the text of the abstract before submitting it. There is no need to shorten lines so that they fit inside the box; the text will wrap automatically to fit.
- Please remove all references to the title and author information on the abstract before completing the submission.
- Authors should review the information submitted very carefully for spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors. It will not be possible to change any information in the abstract once it is uploaded and posted to the Virginia Henderson Global Nursing e-Repository.
Bibliographic References Step
- Recommended references should include more than five scholarly references (e.g., science journal articles, books). References should be recent and/or appropriate for the abstract (references should be no older than five years, unless they are a seminal work). A clear, consistent format (i.e., APA, Harvard, MLA, etc.) with less than one error should be used. It is recommended to copy and paste from a word processing program to maintain formatting. If no references are available or used, please list “N/A” in this field.
This is the step where all authors or contributors should be listed. No additional authors can be added after the submission deadline.
- Search by email address of first author.
- If email address found, click the radial button next to the appropriate name and click "select" to choose or "select and edit" to choose and edit the information currently in the system.
- If email address is not found, input all author information as follows:
- Given and Middle Name or Initial
- Surname/Family Name
- Credentials (List the highest degree per discipline. If you have more than one degree in a single discipline, list only the highest degree. If you are a student nurse and have not completed a degree at this time, please put “SN” in this field.)
- Undergraduate student
- I am not a nurse.
- Email Address (Should already be completed with the address input to search for author)
- Alternate Email Address (Not required, but helpful if there are any issues with receiving email on the first email address from a bulk mail server)
- Sigma Chapter (If you are a member, please select your primary chapter only.)
- Professional Experience (For ANCC accreditation purposes, please describe your expertise and years of training specific to this educational activity. [If the description of expertise does not provide adequate information, the Nurse Planner for the program may request additional documentation.] Please include at least 25 words, but no more than 150 words. Separate each entry with a line break. No special formatting is allowed or supported in this box.)
- Author Summary (Provide professional expertise as a speaker introduction. This would be read aloud prior to the session or printed in brochures or marketing materials and should be written in third person. This should include what you would want your audience to know about you that relates to the educational content you are about to provide. Your summary should be short [minimum of 25 words, maximum of 75 words] and specific to your professional background.)
- Institution/Organization Name
- Position Title
- Address (two lines available)
- ZIP/Postal Code
- Phone Number
- Fax Number (if applicable)
- If additional authors are needed, click the "Add New Person" button under the table where name is shown and repeat the above steps.
Participant Agreement Step
- This is the standard form that all authors complete.
- Based on past questions staff have received, the statement regarding original work is applicable only if the title and abstract being submitted are different from what has been previously published or presented.
- Each author must complete a conflict of interest disclosure form.
- A link to complete the form will be sent to each additional author when added as a contributing author to the email address provided to the system.
- Do you have a conflict or perceived conflict based on information provided on the screen? Respond yes or no. If response is yes, a table appears for completion to explain the conflict.
- All disclosures must be completed to be considered a complete submission.
- Click “Save and Continue” to complete the submission.
- This step is a confirmation of all the materials that were put into the system.
- Nothing is required on this page, but can be printed for authors’ records.