Adding a Practice Setting to a Chapter
The minimum requirements for a practice setting to begin the process of joining a Sigma chapter include:
- A practice setting is an entity where professional (registered) nursing is practiced.
- Practice setting must be accredited by an appropriate accrediting agency recognized by the Sigma Governance Committee (such as the Joint Commission or equivalent).
- Practice setting administration and chief nursing officer officials must agree to support a Sigma chapter at the university.
Application submission and review
Please contact staff to request an application. Submitted applications will be reviewed by staff, the Charter Review Task Force, the Sigma Governance Committee, and the Sigma Board of Directors. Final approval of the application is given by the Sigma Board of Directors.
Application Submission Date
Final Approval Date
Potential Chartering Date
15 June 2016
After 1 February 2017
15 February 2017
After 1 October 2017
15 June 2017
After 1 February 2018
Approval and the Charter Amendment Ceremony
Once approved by the Board of Directors, a charter amendment ceremony will be arranged with headquarters and the new at-Large chapter. The Amendment Ceremony is required and consists of two parts:
- Official chartering of the new practice setting(s) to be included in the chapter.
A chapter induction
Sigma will identify and pay travel expenses for the Sigma leader who will officiate at the chartering ceremony.
- Ceremonies will be scheduled:
For US chapters — no earlier than 12 weeks after final board approval.
- For international chapters — no earlier than 16-20 weeks after final board approval (extra time needed for packages shipped to clear customs).
Newly chartered amendments will be recognized during the Biennial Convention House of Delegates session(s):
- 45th Biennial Convention, 16-20 November 2019, Washington, DC, USA